Gitex Shopper is an event in Dubai that celebrates all things IT. This is the biggest shopping event for gadget and technology in the MENA region and happens twice a year. Prices of laptops, smartphones, TVs, cameras, tablets, home appliances and IT products drop and various brands like HP, Sony, Toshiba, LG, Samsung, etc. participate in this event.
GITEX Meaning – Gulf Information Technology Exhibition
There are two Gitex seasons – Gitex Shopper Spring (every April) and Gitex Shopper Autumn (every September or October). They used to have just one event every year but due to the demand, they made it a twice-a-year technology shopping festival.
A Guide to Dubai’s GITEX Gadget & Technology Festival
The location is held at the Dubai World Trade Center (near DWTC metro station). If you are new to this event, you might wonder who to expect. Here are a few tips to consider when participating in GITEX.
1. Buy Tickets in Advance. Entrance Fee to GITEX can be purchased in selected convenience shops and Dubai metro stations. It helps when you buy the tickets in these areas to avoid the long queue at the ticket booth. Last time we checked tickets cost 30 AED per person.
2. Take the Dubai Metro. Thousands of people visit the World Trade Center every day and that means a problem when searching for parking space (especially on weekends). The most convenient way to arrive is taking the metro. The metro might also be crowded but you won’t have to worry where to park your car.
3. Be prepared for the crowd. Psyche yourself that at times, you might not be able to move fast from one shop to another because there’s just so many people. So if you’re thinking of going to the toilet, maybe prepare yourself ahead of time, before entering the exhibition hall. If you don’t have the time or patience, it would be best to skip it.
4. Know What You’re Buying Beforehand. It’s good to know what you plan on buying so as not to lose focus and get tempted to purchase other types of gadgets outside your budget. But if you have the time and money, then take your time and spend as you please.
5. Explore other Shops. Try to explore other shops and see what discounts they offer for the item you are purchasing. The staff are more than willing to help and you can ask them what deals come with that gadget. You can even compare their deals with other shop deals so they might be able to sweeten their offer to match the price and package.
6. Research the Gadget Online. Do some research prior to arriving at the DWTC so you can compare the regular prices and know the actual specs and prices by yourself. The staff of each shop are helpful, but it is still best to have your own set of gadget requirements so the staff can match your requirements with their available gadgets.
7. Check out shops in the malls. Malls in Dubai also offer Gitex promotions. If you are too tired to battle the GITEX crowd at DWTC, you can simply buy the gadget in Plug-ins, Carrefour, Sharaf DG, Jumbo, Jacky’s, E-City and other electronic shops in Dubai. Take note that you can still get a better offer at Gitex since prices of gadgets can drop at certain hours.
8. Enjoy the noise. Given that there are so many shops and brands, each booth is bound to come up with their own technique to draw customers in. Hourly raffle promos, loud music, singing and dancing, contests, etc. The mood is very festive so enjoy the marketplace as this only a happens twice a year.
Here are just a few tips to make your Gitex Shopper event easier. Good to know these things so you know what to expect.
How to Get There:
Ride the Metro and Stop at Dubai World Trade Center station – Red Line. Walk towards the DWTC
Do you have some tips to share? Let us know in the comment section below. HAPPY SHOPPING!